Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
A healthy drink, without caffeine, it is known to relieve cramps, coughs, and poor digestion. Combine any or all of the following herbs, as desired. To save time, grind larger quantities of different herbs and spices for use as needed.
- 3 1⁄2 cups cold water
- 2 teaspoons fennel seeds
- 2 green cardamom pods
- 1⁄2 inch cinnamon stick
- 2 peppercorns
- 2 cloves
- 1⁄2 inch ginger
- 1 tablespoon fresh mint leaves (or 1 teaspoon dried leaves)
- 6 -8 leaves sacred basil (Tulsi)
- honey or sugar
- milk (to taste)
- Crush all the herbs and spices coarsely.
- Boil the water with the herbs.
- (Put ¾ teaspoon herbs for 1 cup water.) Simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, covered.
- Strain; serve hot with milk and honey (or sugar) to taste.
- Variation: Let the tea cool down.
- Add honey (or sugar) to taste and serve cold on ice, garnished with thin lemon slices.
I made this as part of the Pick Your Chef(July 25-27'2003). Actually, I had a slight cramp attack y'day in my left leg and that got me to try this sooner than the 25th of July. I found the spice combo really nice. I loved the fennel seeds in this. This was a spicy tea and I loved it. To think that it can help my cramp, makes me happier. I used fresh herbs for this. As for seasonings, I used one tsp. of sugar per serving and a little over 1/4 cup of low-fat milk. I will remember to make this when anyone at home gets down with a cough. Thank you for a nice recipe!
Delicious & I love that it does not contain caffeine, I also made ours dairy free. I used all but the tulsi, fresh mint, creamed honey to sweeten and recipe#26964 instead of regular milk. I would make this again especially for health issues but I think it's wonderful to drink without one of those reasons.