Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
This tender cake is lighter than pound cake and well suited for dipping in chocolate fondue.
- 2 cups unbleached flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 -3 tablespoons minced mint leaves or 2 -3 tablespoons lemon balm leaves or 1 1⁄2-2 teaspoons fresh lavender (or 1 1/2 - 2 tsp anise hyssop blossoms or 1/2 teaspoon dried blossoms)
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 extra large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350°F Butter and flour a 9-by-5-by-3 inch loaf pan.
- Sift the flour with the baking powder and salt and set aside.
- Stir the herbs into the milk and set aside.
- Cream the butter and sugar.
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time, until the mixture becomes light and fluffy.
- Add the vanilla and blend well.
- Add the flour alternately in three parts with the milk.
- Pour the batter into the pan, spreading it evenly.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes.
- The loaf is done when the top is golden brown, the edges pull away slightly, and a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool the cake in the pan for 10 minutes, then turn onto a rack.
- When cool, cut into 1-inch cubes and use as fondue dippers.