8 hrs 25 mins
Audrey M's Note:
A different taste to the ordinary Swiss Steak. A little more time is put into this crockpot dish but it is well worth it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless beef round steak
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 slices bacon, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed dried rosemary leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed dried thyme leaves
- 1 cup frozen small whole onions
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups tomato juice
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1Cut meat into six serving pieces and trim off fat.
- 2Rub each piece of steak with dry mustard and then dip into flor.
- 3With a meat mallet, pound each steak until as much flour sticks to it as possible.
- 4Reserve leftover flour.
- 5Next, brown bacon until crisp.
- 6Set on a plate covered with a paper towel to soak up excess fat.
- 7Add 3 Tablespoon of the oil to bacon drippings in skillet.
- 8Brown meat.
- 9While meat is browning, mix together salt, rosemary and thyme.
- 10Sprinkle each piece of meat with spices and place in crockpot.
- 11In same skillet, brown onions and place on top of steak in crock ot.
- 12Now, add reserved flour to skillet with drippings.
- 13Stir in water, tomato juice and garlic.
- 14Bring mixture to a boil but don't forget to stir frequently.
- 15After mixture begins to boil, pour it over the steak and onions in crockpot.
- 16Cook on High fro 3 1/2 to 4 hours or on Low 7 to 8 hours.
- 17Check meat for tenderness.
Browse Our Top Steak Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Herb Swiss Steak
Serving Size: 1 (302 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 407.8
- Calories from Fat 244
- Total Fat 27.2 g
- Saturated Fat 8.5 g
- Cholesterol 77.7 mg
- Sodium 488.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 3.6 g
- Protein 25.7 g