Recipe by Audrey M
A different taste to the ordinary Swiss Steak. A little more time is put into this crockpot dish but it is well worth it.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless beef round steak
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 slices bacon, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed dried rosemary leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed dried thyme leaves
- 1 cup frozen small whole onions
- 1 3⁄4 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 cups tomato juice
- 2 cloves minced garlic
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut meat into six serving pieces and trim off fat.
- Rub each piece of steak with dry mustard and then dip into flor.
- With a meat mallet, pound each steak until as much flour sticks to it as possible.
- Reserve leftover flour.
- Next, brown bacon until crisp.
- Set on a plate covered with a paper towel to soak up excess fat.
- Add 3 Tablespoon of the oil to bacon drippings in skillet.
- Brown meat.
- While meat is browning, mix together salt, rosemary and thyme.
- Sprinkle each piece of meat with spices and place in crockpot.
- In same skillet, brown onions and place on top of steak in crock ot.
- Now, add reserved flour to skillet with drippings.
- Stir in water, tomato juice and garlic.
- Bring mixture to a boil but don't forget to stir frequently.
- After mixture begins to boil, pour it over the steak and onions in crockpot.
- Cook on High fro 3 1/2 to 4 hours or on Low 7 to 8 hours.
- Check meat for tenderness.