Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Adapted from Bon Appetit (April 2004). This one dish meal is a great way to use garden herbs and vegetables with jumbo shrimp.
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup minced fresh tarragon
- 4 teaspoons minces fresh chives
- 1 lemon
- 1 bunch leek, white and pale green parts only,sliced
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme or 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 lb jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 12 ounces green beans, trimmed
- 12 ounces frozen peas
- 16 ounces egg noodles, uncooked
- Mix butter, tarragon, chives and grated lemon peel (from one lemon) in a bowl. Mash with a fork to combine.
- Melt herb butter in large skillet over medium heat.
- Add leeks and thyme and cook for 5 minutes, reduce heat to low and continue cooking for 8-10 minutes longer. Remove from heat.
- In a large saucepan bring water to a boil to cook egg noodles. When water boils add egg noodles and green beans to pan. Cook 6 minutes and then add green peas to water, cook 4 minutes longer. After a total of 10 minutes, drain well.
- While noodles and vegetables are cooking, put skillet back on med high heat and add shrimp and lemon juice (from one lemon) to leeks and herbs and stir-fry over med high heat for 6-10 minutes.
- Add shrimp/leeks to egg noodles/vegetables in a large bowl.
- Serve immediately.
I, too, loved the flavor of this dish. I reduced the fats to 1T butter and 2T olive oil, then passed the olive oil for each to drizzle on their own serving. That seemed to solve the dryness problem and still reduce our total fat intake. I should think this would be great with whatever vegetables happen to be fresh in your garden at the moment, not just green beans and peas.
delicious flavor from the fresh herbs and lemon. i was able to get shrimp noodles in the asian market and used them in this dish. i would have preferred more sauce, next time i will use half the egg noodles.