Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
If you do not have fresh herbs on hand you can use ½ tsp dried herbs
- 2 lbs stewing beef, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cups mixed mushrooms, thickly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons marjoram, fresh, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons thyme, fresh, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons rosemary, fresh, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 3⁄4 cups beef broth
- 3 cups baby carrots
- 12 baby red potatoes, whole
- Sprinkle the beef with pepper and coat with flour.
- Heat the oil in a 6 quart saucepot over medium-high heat.
- Add the beef and cook until well browned, stirring often.
- Add the mushrooms, garlic, herbs and bay leaf and cook until the mushrooms are tender and liquid evaporates.
- Stir the broth into the saucepot and heat to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 45 minutes.
- Add the carrots and potatoes.
- Heat to a boil.
- Cover and cook for 30 minutes more or until beef is fork tender.
- Remove bay leaf and serve.
This recipe was made on 12/4/13.Due to what was on hand,changes were made to the recipe.The first change,just used 1 pound of stew meat.For the red potatoes, had to use russets.No fresh herbs,so a couple of good shakes of dried were used.With the ground cloves,the full amount was used.And instead of making on top of the stove Everything was added to a crockpot,then covered with 3 cups of beef broth.About 3 hours later,it started to fill my kitchen with the most wonderful Christmas smells(I just knew it had to be the ground cloves). Then another 3 hours later I was eating a most enjoyable stew.Thanks for posting,and " Keep Smiling :) " .
Oh how heavenly this stew is to behold!! The combination of the fresh herbs and earthy mushrooms, add such a comforting flavor to the beef and veggies. I used half portobella and half buttom mushrooms and thickened the gravy with a little cornstarch, just before serving. My new favorite beef stew recipe. I am forever grateful for the recipe Pinkie!!
This has been added to the cookbook for my hubby's favorite recipes. The ones that he says that I can make anytime for him *wink*. I thought that I was going to miss the onion and celery that I usually add to my stew but I didn't. It had lots of mushrooms and the spuds and carrots satisfied my veggie desire just fine. It has a wonderful flavor and the beef came up very tender. Instead of using plain flour I shook the beef pieces in Pink Diamonds Bea's Fish Crisp that I had leftover. End result: a thoroughly wonderful stew. Made for Photo Tag.