1/4 Photos of Herb-Seasoned Turkey
2 hrs 50 mins
2 hrs 30 mins
This is the moistest turkey I have ever made. The herbs tucked inside the bird and the herb-oil mixture give it a wonderful flavor. Allow 3/4 pound uncooked turkey per person. I like to tuck 3 whole sages leaves under the skin (loosen skin first with a large spoon or other fairly flat, dull tool). As the turkey cooks, the skin becomes transparent and the leaves will show through--and it adds to the flavor!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 bunch fresh rosemary leaf (about 1 ounce)
- 1 bunch Italian parsley (about 4 ounce)
- 1 bunch fresh thyme leave (about 1 ounce)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 16 -18 lbs turkey
- 3 whole bay leaves
- 3 whole sage leaves (optional)
- 1Mince rosemary leaves, parsley, and thyme to make 1 tablespoon each; reserving remaining sprigs for use in step 3.
- 2Combine olive oil, butter, minced herbs, salt and pepper; set aside.
- 3Remove and discard leg truss from turkey. Pull off and discard lumps of fat. Remove giblets and neck; discard. Rinse bird inside and out; pat dry.
- 4Tuck remaining fresh herb sprigs (see note above) and bay leaves inside body cavity.
- 5Place turkey, breast up, on a v-shaped rack in a 12- by 17-inch roasting pan. Retruss turkey legs, if desired.
- 6Brush entire bird with oil-herb mixture. Pour 1 cup of water in bottom of roasting pan (or enough to cover bottom). This water serves two purposes--steam rising from it will keep turkey moist, and it will keep drippings from sticking to bottom of pan (so you can make great gravy).
- 7Cover pan tightly with aluminum foil.
- 8Insert a meat thermometer through thickest part of turkey breast to the bone. (I tear a small hole and poke it through foil).
- 9Roast turkey in 325°F oven for 2 to 3 hours (depending on the size of your turkey. Cook until thickest part of turkey reaches 160°F taking foil off for the last 45 minutes.
- 10(If wing and leg tips start to get too dark before turkey is done, cover them with small pieces of foil.
- 11Transfer turkey to a platter.
- 12Let rest 15 to 30 minutes, then carve.
- 13Great tip for getting the fat off the top of drippings for gravy: Pour drippings into a heavy-duty zip-top bag (freezer bag works great). Set in a bowl or pan that will hold it upright and let it stand for 15 minutes so oil separates. Holding bag above your pan, snip a slit in very bottom corner of bag and let the juices run until you get to the oil. Pinch of end of bag and discard.
Browse Our Top Whole Turkey Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Herb-Seasoned Turkey
Serving Size: 1 (457 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 754.2
- Calories from Fat 355
- Total Fat 39.5 g
- Saturated Fat 11.4 g
- Cholesterol 312.5 mg
- Sodium 380.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 0.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 92.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
fresh rosemary leaves
fresh thyme leaves