Prep 5 mins
Cook 0 mins
This herb salt is similar to Mrs Dash seasonings. I found this on About.com in the spice recipe section and can easily be multiplied. This spice can be used on many savory meals.
- 1 tablespoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried savory
- 1 teaspoon ground mace
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 teaspoon lemon, rind of, ground, dried, grated
- In small mixing bowl, combine all ingredients and mix well.
- When thoroughly mixed, pour into a glass airtight container and store in a cool, dark place for up to four months.
This does remind me of Mrs. Dash. I left out the lemon because that's the one discordant note I always found in the Mrs. Dash blends. This is pretty spicy, though, and next time I may cut back a little on the cayenne. Thanks for posting! Made for Aus/NZ recipe swap.
Since DH has to have a diet with low-sodium I made this. I omitted the lemon cause I didn't have the time to let it dry. For us there is too much cayenne pepper (because of my son). But it's really good. Thanks Lauralie. I'll do it again with less cayenne. Made for Holiday tag.
I sprinkled some on a burger that I pan-fried for lunch today and it made it taste like a steak burger! I will definitely have to try this on a ribeye steak (on the grill) when the weather warms up. This would be great with chicken too. :)