1/2 Photos of Herb Roasted Turkey
4 hrs 45 mins
This was the first turkey I've ever made combining 3 recipes and making it my own. It turned out to be a huge success and requested often by friends and family.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 1/2 tablespoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 cups chopped white onions
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 8 fresh rosemary sprigs (about 1 package)
- 12 fresh thyme sprigs (about 1 package)
- 12 fresh sage sprigs (about 1 package)
- 2 (16 ounce) cans low sodium chicken broth (or 4 cups)
- 2 tablespoons italian seasoning
- 12 lbs thawed turkey
- 1DAY 1: Remove giblets, neck, & heart from turkey. Rinse turkey with cold water, pat dry. Trim excess fat. Sprinkle 4 teaspoons salt over and inside turkey. Refrigerate uncovered for 24 hours.
- 2DAY 2: Preheat oven to 325 deg.
- 3Rinse turkey with cold water, pat dry. Stuff body cavity with onion, celery, herbs, & pepper. Lift wing tips up and over back; tuck under turkey. Tie legs together with twine. Place turkey breast-side-up, on a rack in a roasting pan coated with cooking spray. Insert a meat thermometer into meaty part of thigh making sure not to touch bone. Sprinkle turkey with ½ tsp salt and Italian seasoning. Cover breast with foil.
- 4Bake at 325 deg for 2 hours, basting turkey with 1/3 cup broth every 30 minutes.
- 5Remove foil, bake an additional 1 hour and 45 minutes or until thermometer reads 170 deg , basting turkey with remaining broth every 30 minutes. (Usually I use my best judgment to determine when it's done for fear of drying the turkey).
- 6Remove turkey from oven. Cover turkey with foil for 30 minutes. Puncture skin under thighs to release juices for gravy. Carve & Serve.
- 7NOTE: If you run out of broth for basting, use melted butter.
Browse Our Top Whole Turkey Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Herb Roasted Turkey
Serving Size: 1 (1143 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2252.9
- Calories from Fat 996
- Total Fat 110.7 g
- Saturated Fat 31.2 g
- Cholesterol 926.1 mg
- Sodium 8824.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 4.1 g
- Protein 283.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
fresh thyme sprigs