Prep 8 mins
Cook 5 hrs
This produces a very moist, flavorfull turkey.
- 1 (14 ounce) can chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 12 -14 lbs turkey
- Mix all basting ingredients.
- Place cleaned turkey in roaster pan.
- Roast turkey, uncovered,at 325*.
- Baste with chichen broth mixture every 1/2 hour.
- Turkey should be done in 4-5 hours.
- If needed to prevent over browning; cover with a foil tent last hour of cooking.
This was my first turkey and I am glad I picked this recipe! It was a big hit for my ever-so-picky eaters. I used reduced sodium chicken broth and about a teaspoon of lemon extract because I didn't have any juice (I don't know how that happened)! Thank you for the recipe!
This was absolutely wonderful. I cook my bird breast down on a rack but basted with this juice and it turned out so good. I simply added a bit of water to the bottom of the roasting pan now and then to prevent burning but basted with this and This also made the very best gravy I have ever had. I simply added a bit more water with a bit of bouillon to the pan when done, flour, sage, salt and pepper. It was so brown it looked like beef gravy. Thanks so much, I will use it each year from now on. I had actually rated this a month ago but think I forgot to hit submit.
I made this for my very first Thanksgiving dinner ... my guests said it was the best ever, and it couldn't have been easier!