1 hr 50 mins
1 hr 30 mins
Yummmmm! My guests rave about this, I have made it twice now. The herbs that the roast lay on give such a great taste to the pork along with the mustard and the shallots. And the sauce is heavenly! I have used onions instead of the shallots with fine results. From Gourmet magazine.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 lbs boneless pork loin roast, trimmed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 6 rosemary sprigs, divided
- 8 large fresh thyme sprigs, divided
- 8 sage sprigs, divided
- 1/2 cup finely chopped shallot (4 to 5)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped garlic
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F with rack in middle.
- 2Pat pork dry and season with salt and pepper. Straddle a flameproof roasting pan over 2 burners, then heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat until it shimmers. Brown pork on all sides, then transfer to a large plate.
- 3Put a metal rack in pan and arrange half of herbs down middle of rack.
- 4Stir together shallots, garlic, mustard, and 1 tablespoon oil and smear over top and sides of roast, then put roast, fat side up, on top of herbs. Roast 1 hour.
- 5Toss remaining herbs with remaining teaspoon oil and arrange on top of roast.
- 6Continue roasting until an instant-read thermometer registers 140 to 145°F, 5 to 15 minutes more (temperature will rise 5 to 10 degrees as it rests).
- 7Transfer pork to a cutting board and let rest 15 to 25 minutes.
- 8Make sauce while pork rests:
- 9Remove rack from pan and discard herbs from rack.
- 10Straddle pan across 2 burners on medium heat.
- 11Add vermouth and mustard and deglaze by boiling, stirring and scraping up brown bits, until reduced by half.
- 12Add broth and simmer 3 minutes.
- 13Strain through a fine-mesh sieve into a 2-cup measure. If you have more than 1 1/2 cups, boil to reduce; if less, add water.
- 14Melt butter in a heavy medium saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in flour and cook, whisking, until pale golden, about 3 minutes. Whisk in vermouth mixture and simmer until slightly thickened, about 3 minutes.
- 15Serve pork with sauce.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Herb-Roasted Pork Loin
Serving Size: 1 (317 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 467.7
- Calories from Fat 230
- Total Fat 25.6 g
- Saturated Fat 5.6 g
- Cholesterol 150.8 mg
- Sodium 493.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 4.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 0.2 g
- Protein 50.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
fresh thyme sprigs