Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
This is from a Guckenheimer cookbook I received as a gift. I am adding all the ones that sound good to ‘Zaar so I can make them later.
- 1 (5 -6 lb) leg of lamb, bone in
- 4 cippolini onions, peeled and quartered
- 3 garlic cloves, slivered
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons fresh rosemary leaves
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, leaves plucked
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper
- 8 rosemary sprigs
- In a bowl, mix onions with 2 tablespoons olive oil and the balsamic vinegar.
- Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper.
- Let stand at least 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, trim the discarded excess surface fat from lamb.
- With tip of paring knife cut 6 slits 1/2 inch deep around the leg and insert garlic slivers.
- Rub lamb with 1 tablespoon olive oil and the lemon juice, then pat rosemary leaves and oregano onto meat.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Place lamb in a 11" x 17" roasting pan.
- Spoon onions and marinade on and around lamb.
- Roast in a 375 degree F oven. Bake for approximately 1 hour and 10 minutes for medium rare or 115 degrees F on meat thermometer.
- If drippings begin to burn, add water, 1/4 cup at a time as needed.
- Transfer lamb to a board or platter and let stand for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Keep onions warm in a pan while lamb rests.
- Slice meat and serve with juice.
- Spoon onions and juice around lamb, garnish with rosemary sprigs.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.