Prep 20 mins
Cook 5 hrs
Here's one of our favorite chicken dishes in the crockpot (with optional gravy). The chicken turns out so juicy and tender, not dried out at all. Very good over mashed potatoes, noodles or dumplings and you can add a side of stuffing as well (see my stuffing Bread Stuffing). I hope you enjoy!
- 3 -4 lbs organic whole roasting chickens or 3 -4 lbs hen
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coarse black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup fresh snipped parsley
- 1 teaspoon tarragon or 1 teaspoon thyme or 1 teaspoon herbes de provence, crushed
- 5 -6 carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 3 celery ribs, with leaves sliced
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine (or chicken stock or water)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- Put carrots, onions, and celery in bottom of crock pot.
- Thoroughly wash chicken and pat dry. Sprinkle cavity with salt, pepper and parsley. Place in crock pot, dot chicken breast with butter.
- Sprinkle with parsley and tarragon or thyme, add wine.
- Cover and cook on Low 8 to 10 hours (High: 3 1/2 to 5 hours).
- With a slotted spoon, remove chicken and vegetables to a platter, keep warm.
- To make gravy (optional): To remaining pan juices stir in a tablespoon of cornstarch -OR- 3 tablespoons of flour. Heat through on HIGH in crock pot, -or- on medium heat in a separate sauce pan, stirring until gravy is smooth and thickened, about 5-10 minutes. Stir in a tablespoon or two of milk or cream, if desired.
- Serve with mashed potatoes, noodles, dumplings, or buttered biscuits -plus- a side of stuffing recipe #117776---wonderful!
Wonderful Recipe! This was so easy to throw together and the smell was heavenly all day long as it was cooking! I used the chicken stock because that was what I had on hand. It turned out delicious, but I am looking forward to using the wine next time. I also made the bread stuffing that was linked with this recipe and it turned out GREAT! Thanks for posting such a delicious recipe!
Absolutely delicious! I served it with egg noodles only because I didn't have a potato in the house. Will definitely make this again. Thanks for sharing the recipe.
This was fabulous! I used three bone-in, skinless chicken breasts, baby carrots and left out the celery. I added the flour to make the gravy. Next time I will try using 2-3 tablespoons of butter to cut down on the fat a little; loved the taste with 4 tablespoons though : ) Thanks for posting!