1/1 Photo of Herb Roasted Chicken With Vegetables and Wine (Crock Pot)
5 hrs 20 mins
Here's one of our favorite chicken dishes in the crockpot (with optional gravy). The chicken turns out so juicy and tender, not dried out at all. Very good over mashed potatoes, noodles or dumplings and you can add a side of stuffing as well (see my stuffing Bread Stuffing). I hope you enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 -4 lbs organic whole roasting chickens or 3 -4 lbs hen
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse black pepper
- 1/2 cup fresh snipped parsley
- 1 teaspoon tarragon or 1 teaspoon thyme or 1 teaspoon herbes de provence, crushed
- 5 -6 carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 3 celery ribs, with leaves sliced
- 1/2 cup dry white wine (or chicken stock or water)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1Put carrots, onions, and celery in bottom of crock pot.
- 2Thoroughly wash chicken and pat dry. Sprinkle cavity with salt, pepper and parsley. Place in crock pot, dot chicken breast with butter.
- 3Sprinkle with parsley and tarragon or thyme, add wine.
- 4Cover and cook on Low 8 to 10 hours (High: 3 1/2 to 5 hours).
- 5With a slotted spoon, remove chicken and vegetables to a platter, keep warm.
- 6To make gravy (optional): To remaining pan juices stir in a tablespoon of cornstarch -OR- 3 tablespoons of flour. Heat through on HIGH in crock pot, -or- on medium heat in a separate sauce pan, stirring until gravy is smooth and thickened, about 5-10 minutes. Stir in a tablespoon or two of milk or cream, if desired.
- 7Serve with mashed potatoes, noodles, dumplings, or buttered biscuits -plus- a side of stuffing Bread Stuffing---wonderful!
Browse Our Top Whole Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Whole Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Herb Roasted Chicken With Vegetables and Wine (Crock Pot)
Serving Size: 1 (272 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 434.9
- Calories from Fat 280
- Total Fat 31.1 g
- Saturated Fat 11.5 g
- Cholesterol 127.3 mg
- Sodium 998.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 8.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 3.7 g
- Protein 26.2 g