Recipe by SilentCricket
This is a recipe I'm posting in response to a request and one I found in my Betty Crocker cookbook...It really is a comfort food main dish! Thank you, Betty!
Top Review by Linda's Busy Kitchen
I made this recipe tonight. I followed the recipe excactly, and it was simply DELISH! The spices compliment the dish nicely, giving the chicken great flavor. It's a winner for sure :)
- 4 -5 lbs roasting chickens
- 1⁄3 cup margarine or 1⁄3 cup butter, melted
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried rosemary leaves, crushed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried marjoram
- snipped parsley
- 8 small potatoes or 4 medium potatoes
- 4 medium carrots, each cut diagonally into fourths
- 4 small onions, cut into halves
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1⁄2 cup hot chicken broth or 1⁄2 cup water
- 4 small zucchini, each cut the same way as the carrots
- 1⁄2 teaspoon seasoning salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Rub cavity of chicken with salt, if desired.
- Place chicken breast side up in shallow roasting pan.
- Mix margarine and herbs.
- Brush half the margarine mixture on chicken.
- Bake uncovered in 375 degree oven, brushing chicken with margarine mixture several times during roasting.
- Roast 2-2 1/2 hours, or until thickest part of chicken is done and drumstick meat feels very soft when pressed between fingers.
- (Meat thermometer inserted in thickest part of thigh without touching bone will give best indicator of doneness...) Cover chicken loosely with foil if browning too quickly.
- Place chicken on warm platter; arrange vegetables around chicken.
- Spoon some of the vegetable liquid onto vegetables; sprinkle with parsley:.
- Vegetables: If using med potatoes, cut into halves.
- Place all ingredients except zucchini and 1/2 tsp.
- seasoned salt in ungreased 2-qt casserole.
- Cover and cook in 375 oven 45 minutes.
- Add zucchini and 1/2 tsp seasoned salt; cook until vegetables are done, 10-15 minutes more.