Recipe by MarieRynr
Robust herbs slipped under the skin of a whole roasting chicken add hearty flavor to one of winter's most venerable dishes.
Top Review by kzbhansen
This was wonderful!! Loved this. My chicken was not cooked through and I had to put back into the oven for another 15 minutes for it to complete but the herbs are wonderful in this chicken, I will be making this again!! Thanks for posting!
- 1 roasting chicken, 3 1/2 to 4 lb,giblets removed
- salt, plus 1/4 tsp salt
- fresh ground pepper, plus 1/8 tsp ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 4 thin lemon slices, seeds removed
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375*F (190*C) Rinse the chicken under cold water, drain and pat dry with paper towels.
- Season inside and out with salt and pepper.
- In a small bowl, mix together the sage, thyme, oregano, rosemary, 1/4 tsp salt and 1/8 tsp pepper.
- Using your fingers, loosen the skin of the chicken that covers the breast by sliding your fingers between the skin and the flesh, being careful not to tear the skin.
- Slip half of the herbs inside the pocket defined by each breast half, distributing them evenly over the breast and thigh.
- Tuck the lemon slices inside the pockest between the skin and flesh, placing 2 slices on each side.
- Truss the chicken by tying the legs together with kitchen string.
- Brush the chicken with the melted butter.
- Place the chicken on it's side on an oiled roasting rack in a roasting pan.
- Roast for 20 minutes.
- Turn the chicken onto it's other side and roast for another 20 minutes.
- Turn the chicken breast side up and continue to roast until the juices run clear when pierced in the thigh.
- 15 to 20 minutes longer.
- Remove the chicken from the oven and transfer to a platter.
- Cover loosely with aluminum foil and let stand for 10 minutes before carving.