Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This is a really simple recipe, for roasting chicken. My sister in law was coming to visit once, and when I asked what she wanted for dinner, she said " roasted chicken". So here's what I made for her...
- 1 (3 1/2 lb) broiler-fryer chickens
- 3 garlic cloves, halved
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄3 cup herbes de provence
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh basil
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- additional fresh herb (to garnish)
- Rub skin of chicken with cut side of 2 pieces of garlic. Rub under skin with garlic also. Place all garlic halves, bay leaves, and herbs de provence in cavity of chicken. Truss chicken.
- Combine butter, chopped herbs, salt, pepper, and paprika. Place chicken breast side up in a shallow roasting pan; brush generously with butter mixture, rub under skin. Bake, uncovered at 375F for 1 1/2 hours or until done, basting occasionally with remaining butter mixture during last half of baking. Remove chicken to serving platter; garnish with fresh herbs.
I made this last Christmas and it was a huge hit! I had my family over, about a group of twenty, and made this along with other meats, and everyone loved it. In fact, they are still talking about it a year later! I'm going to do it again this year but do several chickens this time :) Thanks!