Cook1 hr 30 mins
I got this recipe from a Better Homes & Garden "Low-Carb Cooking 2004" magazine. It's a family favorite and so easy. I mixed up a large batch of the herb blend and keep it in a shaker jar to save time. I added brining to the recipe since I always brine my chicken (it makes it so much better!) but you can omit that step. (Brining time is included in the prep. time.)
- 1 (3 -3 1/2 lb) roasting chickens
- 1⁄2 cup kosher salt
- 1 quart water
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 garlic cloves, minced (or 1 tsp. jarred minced garlic)
- 1 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground sage
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning or 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Place chicken in a 1 gallon zip-lock type bag. Pour 1/2 cup Kosher salt over chicken. Carefully pour 1 quart water over chicken and seal bag.
- Gently mix the salt/water solution to cover chicken. Place sealed bag on a paper towel in the refrigerator and leave for 30 minutes. (This is called brining.).
- Remove chicken from bag and rinse under cold water. Pat chicken dry.
- Preheat oven to 375°F
- In a small bowl, stir together basil, salt (1/2 tsp.), sage, thyme, and lemon pepper (or pepper).
- In another small bowl, melt butter. Add minced garlic to butter and mix together.
- Remove neck and giblets from chicken. Place chicken, breast side down, on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Use a basting brush to paint garlic butter onto the chicken skin. Sprinkle part of the herbs over the butter.
- Turn chicken over and repeat with remaining butter and herbs.
- Roast, uncovered, for 1.25 - 1.5 hours, or until drumsticks move easily in the sockets and a meat thermometer registers 180°F
- Serve and enjoy!