Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
From Susan Albert Wittig's mystery novel, "Indigo Dying".
- 3 eggs, slightly beaten
- 2 cups evaporated milk
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 3⁄4 cup swiss cheese, grated
- 9 inches unbaked pie shells
- 1⁄2 cup spinach, cooked, drained and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup mushroom, sauteed
- 3 tablespoons fresh chives, snipped
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh parsley, minced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine eggs, milk, salt, and pepper. Spread the grated cheese evenly in the bottom of the pie shell. Mix the spinach, mushrooms, and herbs and spoon over the cheese. Pour the milk-and-egg mixture over all. Dot the top with butter. Place the pie plate on a cookie sheet and bake until set, 30-35 minutes. Remove when the outside is set and the middle still jiggles when shaken. Let stand 10-15 minutes before you cut it.
- Set each slice on few leaves of fresh grens and add chive blossoms. For a spectacular brunch, serve with sliced melon, strawberries, or orange sections.