1/6 Photos of Herb Pizza Dough
1 hr 30 mins
Based on a recipe from Williams-Sonoma Kitchen Library Pizza cookbook. The introduction says, “Fresh or dried herbs add an accent of flavor and color to pizza dough. Good choices include oregano, basil, marjoram, chives, thyme, rosemary, sage, mint and fennel seeds, selected to highlight the ingredients that will top the pizza or fill the calzone. Do not go overboard on your selection: It is better to choose two or three complementary herbs, or even just one herb, rather than a large mixed bouquet of clashing flavors.”
My Private Note
pizza d ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1Dissolve yeast in the water in a small bowl and let stand until slightly foamy on top, about 10 minutes.
- 2In a large bowl stir together the 2 ¾ cups flour, salt, and herbs. Form into a mound. Make a well in the center and add the yeast mixture to it.
- 3Using a fork, stir the dough in a circular motion, gradually pulling the flour into the yeast mixture until a dough forms.
- 4Place the dough on a lightly floured work surface using some of the ½ cup flour.
- 5Using the heel of your hand, knead the dough until it’s smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes.
- 6Form the dough into a ball.
- 7Brush a large bowl with the oil and place the dough in it. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise at room temperature until doubled in size, about 1 to 2 hours.
- 8Place dough on work surface lightly dusted with the remaining flour.
- 9Punch the dough down.
- 10By hand, gently press dough out into desired shape.
- 11Place one hand in the center of dough, and with the other hand, pull, lift and stretch the dough, gradually working your way all around the edge, until it is the desired thickness, about ¼ inch thick for a crusty pizza base and ½ inch thick for a softer one.
- 12Flip the dough over from time to time as you work with it; alternately, roll the dough out with a rolling pin. The dough should be slightly thinner in the middle than the edge.
- 13Lift the edge of the pizza to form a slight rim.
- 14Transfer dough to a baker’s peel or baking sheet, cover, and let rise again until almost doubled, about 20 minutes.
- 15Top as desired.
- 16Bake in a 400 degree F oven for 10 to 15 minutes, until the crust is golden, or according to your pizza recipe’s instructions.
Browse Our Top < 4 Hours Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All < 4 Hours Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Herb Pizza Dough
Serving Size: 1 (554 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1405.9
- Calories from Fat 156
- Total Fat 17.4 g
- Saturated Fat 2.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 2342.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 266.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.8 g
- Sugars 0.9 g
- Protein 40.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
mixed fresh herbs