Recipe by La Dilettante
Needing a good autumn green veggie to go with the classic spaghetti-and-tomato-sauce for tonight's supper, I searched on this site and found John Skrable's "Brussels Sprouts Americano"...I gave it a good rating, but made so many changes that I decided I'd post my own!! Now, I came late to Brussels sprouts in life...school cafeterias and my own mother boiled the poor little cruciferous things to MUSH, and, ugh. I've discovered they're so very delicious if a little "crunch" remains. So, I don't pre-boil or blanch. Try this---you'll like it (I hope!) Side note: I don't make this in large batches, as it sort of loses its fresh "oomph" when reheated the next day. Hence the smallish quantity.
Top Review by So Cal Gal
What a fabulous way to prepare Brussels sprouts!! The flavors and textures work perfectly together, and the end result is totally delicious! I scaled the servings down to one (DH isn't a Brussels sprouts fan); used 18 frozen petite Brussels sprouts (briefly cooked, then drained--I didn't have any fresh ones), a 50/50 mix of butter and olive oil, and part of a scallion for the onion. When everything was cooked, I put it on top of an al dente serving of whole wheat pasta (farfalle) and added the garnishes. It made a great lunch! Next time I'll try to make this with fresh Brussels sprouts, as I'm sure that's better, but it really is quite good even with the frozen kind. This recipe is definitely a keeper! Thanks for sharing it, La Dilettante!!
- 2 dozen Brussels sprouts
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons chopped onions
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning
- salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons chopped pistachio nuts
- parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut tough stem end off sprouts, and slice each sprout in half.
- Heat butter in skillet, and saute' onion and garlic until soft. Add sprouts and toss well to coat. Add thyme and lemon pepper, stir, cover, and let cook until sprouts are tender but not too soft (about 8 minutes).
- Serve with a sprinking of pistachio nuts and Parmesan.