Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
This is a delicious treat! I would enjoy this with a baked potato, salad, and some bread. Give it a try, I know you will love it!
- 1 filet of beef, trimmed (3 pounds)
- 2.46 ml dried thyme
- 22.18 ml dried rosemary
- 29.58 ml whole black peppercorns
- 4.92 ml salt
Herbed Mustard Sauce
- 59.14 ml evaporated milk
- 59.14 ml tarragon vinegar
- 29.58 ml stone ground dijon mustard
- 118.29 ml vegetable oil
- 29.58 ml chopped fresh tarragon
- 1 finely chopped shallot
- 2.46 ml salt
- 1.23 ml black pepper
- Chill evaporated milk in freezer for 10 minutes.
- Combine tarragon vinegar and Dijon mustard in a blender.
- Pour in chilled milk.
- With blender on, add oil in a slow, steady stream until well blended.
- Add tarragon, shallot, salt and pepper.
- Blend to combine.
- Preheat oven to 450*F (230*C).
- Pat fillet dry with paper toweling.
- Place thyme, rosemary, peppercorns and salt in a small food processor or blender.
- Whirl to crush.
- Place mixture on waxed paper.
- Roll fillet in mixture until entirely coated.
- Place on a rack in a roasting pan.
- Sprinkle remaining herb mixture over top of fillet.
- Roast fillet in heated 450*F (230*C) oven 40 minutes or until an instant-read thermometer registers an internal temperature of 145*F (60*C).
- for medium-rare.
- Remove from oven.
- Let rest 10-15 minutes before carving.
- If serving cold, cool to room temperature and then refrigerate.
- Serve with Herbed Mustard Sauce.
I really liked this dish! Peppery meat, great sauce. A keeper for sure.
We made this as part of the Adoptee Support swap, and it was delicious! Although I forgot to include the herb sauce in the photo, it was the perfect accompaniment to this peppery dish. The only things I did differently from the recipe were to use buffalo instead of beef, and tricolor pepper instead of all black peppercorns. Delicious!