From the Fine Cooking Website
Make and share this Herb & Parmigiano Crusted Tilapia With Quick Tomato Sauce recipe from Food.com.
- 2 garlic cloves, minced (about 1 Tbs.)
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 pinch granulated sugar
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 3⁄4 cup breadcrumbs, fresh
- 3⁄4 cup parmigiano-reggiano cheese, finely grated
- 1⁄2 cup fresh herb, chopped (Mixed such as thyme, parsley, chives, or oregano)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs tilapia fillets, skinless (4 6-oz. each)
- 1 large egg
- In a small (1- to 2-quart), heavy saucepan, cook the garlic in 2 Tbs. of the oil over medium heat until it begins to color, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the tomatoes and their juices, sugar, and a pinch each of salt and pepper. Simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally and breaking up the tomatoes with a wooden spoon. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, on a large plate, toss the breadcrumbs, Parmigiano, herbs, 1/4 teaspoons salt, and 1/4 teaspoons pepper.
- Season the fish with salt and pepper. Beat the egg in a wide, shallow dish. Dip each fillet in the egg and then the breadcrumb mixture, pressing it on to help it adhere.
- In a 12-inch heavy-duty nonstick skillet, heat the remaining 4 Tbs. olive oil over medium-high heat. Add two of the fillets and cook until the coating is nicely browned and the flesh is opaque and cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes on each side. Use a slotted spatula to move the fish. Repeat with the remaining fillets. Serve the tilapia with a spoonful of the sauce.