Recipe by Leslie in Texas
This recipe comes from a longtime friend who's also a great cook! She was kind enough to share her recipe with me. It makes a delicious, quick and easy bread that smells heavenly while it's baking! You may want to add a little basil or rosemary to the dough along with the oregano. Prep time does not include rising time.
- 2 cups water (110 degrees)
- 2 (1/4 ounce) packages yeast
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons oregano
- 4 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Dissolve yeast in warm water.
- In a large bowl, combine all dry ingredients, except cheese.
- Add water to dry ingredients and beat with a mixer on low speed until blended; then beat at medium speed for about 2 minutes.
- Mix in rest of flour.
- Cover with waxed paper and a towel and let rise in a warm place, free of drafts, for 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Grease a 1 1/2 or 2-quart oven-proof bowl.
- Stir down bread and beat about 25 strokes.
- Turn into prepared bowl and sprinkle with the cheese.
- Bake about 55 minutes.
- Turn onto a wire rack to cool.