Recipe by Shabby Sign Shoppe
Serves six to eight. from Fine Cooking For the best flavor and tenderness, cook these steaks to medium rare or just barely medium. Thinner skirt steaks will cook more quickly. If you can’t grill these steaks, sear-roast them
- 4 lbs skirt steaks or 4 lbs flank steaks
- 12 garlic cloves
- 4 fresh sprigs rosemary (5-inch, each)
- 16 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon freshly cracked black pepper
- extra-virgin olive oil
- sea salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Smash the garlic cloves with the flat part of a heavy knife and then peel the cloves.
- Crush and tear the rosemary sprigs with your hands to release their perfume.
- In a medium-large bowl, combine the steaks with the herbs, garlic, pepper, and 6 Tbs. olive oil. Toss to coat well.
- Cover and refrigerate for one to two days.
- Take the steaks out of the refrigerator 30 minutes before grilling and brush off the herb sprigs and garlic.
- Prepare a medium-hot gas or charcoal grill fire.
- Season the steaks with salt.
- Oil the grill and then grill the steaks for 2 to 3 minutes on each side for medium rare (thicker steaks will be medium rare after 3 to 5 minutes per side).
- Let rest for 10 minutes on a clean cutting board before slicing thinly across the grain.