Prep 1 hr 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
Ostrich has been eaten in Australia for years, but is starting to become more readily available in the U.S.
- 1 lb ostrich steak (approximately 1-1/2 inches thick)
- 1⁄3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄8 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 1⁄2 tablespoon fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1⁄2 tablespoon fresh thyme leave
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Combine marinade ingredients in plastic bag; add meat, turning to coat. Close bag securely and marinate in refrigerator one hour, turning occasionally.
- Preheat oven broiler.
- Remove meat from marinade; discard marinade.
- Place meat on rack in broiler pan so that surface of meat is three to four inches from heat. Broil 12 to 16 minutes per side for medium-rare to medium doneness.
- Carve into slices and serve.
Fabulous marinade! Ostrich is getting popular in Germany, too, so I could make and enjoy this recipe. I was a bit concerned that it might be too tart for our taste, but the amount of balsamic vinegar goes perfect with the flavour of the meat and the herbs. Thanks for sharing this wonderful recipe!
Made for ZWT 8 / AUS/NZ for the Lively Lemon Lovelies