Recipe by Leslie in Texas
This is originally from a local Methodist church cookbook published over 20 years ago and was submitted by my good friend, Gaye Couch. It can be served as a salad or as an appetizer and is always well received whenever I make it.
Top Review by JanuaryBride
Nice marinated mushrooms. I thought they could use a little more OOMPH of some sort. . .perhaps some mustard or sugar or hot sauce. . .could not pinpoint it. I did let mine sit for 24 hours and it was perfect. Thanks for posting! Made for June 2009 Photo Tag.
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup salad oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon whole black peppercorn
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried chervil
- 1 bay leaf, crushed
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 lbs button mushrooms, whole
- 1 bell pepper, cut into rings
- 1⁄2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 (9 ounce) cans artichoke hearts, drained (optional)
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes (optional)
- 8 -16 butter lettuce leaves (if serving as a salad)
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash vegetables and prepare as directed.
- Combine water, vinegar, oil and all herbs and seasonings.
- Whisk to combine well and pour over vegetables.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Before serving, drain most of marinade.
- If serving as a salad, place a butter lettuce leaf or two on a plate and spoon mushrooms onto lettuce.
- If serving as an appetizer, serve with party toothpicks.