Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
chicken in herbs and cumin Food and wine mag
Make and share this Herb-Marinated Chicken Skewers With Harissa recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon rosemary
- 1 teaspoon chopped thyme
- 1 teaspoon chopped oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 1⁄2 lbs chicken breast halves, cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 teaspoon coriander seed
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed
- 2 roasted red peppers, from a jars, coarsely chopped
- 1 red Thai chile, with seeds, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- hummus, for serving
- MARINATE THE CHICKEN: In a large bowl, mix the olive oil with the rosemary, thyme, oregano and ground cumin. Add the chicken and toss well. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- MEANWHILE, MAKE THE HARISSA: In a small skillet, toast the cumin, coriander and caraway seeds over moderately high heat, shaking the skillet a few times, until the spices are fragrant, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a spice grinder and let cool completely. Grind to a powder.
- In a blender, combine the roasted peppers with the chile, garlic, olive oil, lemon juice and ground spices and puree. Season the harissa with salt.
- Light a grill. Thread the chicken pieces onto 8 metal skewers. Season with salt and grill over moderately high heat, turning, until nicely charred and just cooked, about 14 minutes. Serve the skewers with the harissa and hummus.
- MAKE AHEAD.
- The harissa can be refrigerated for up to 5 days. Bring to room temperature before serving.