Recipe by Smoky Okie
Quick and easy yet elegant grilled main dish. Herb measurements are approximate, and any of the savory , or mint family of herbs may be used. If you use fresh herbs, you can't go wrong. The only sin is to not use enough. If fresh herbs aren't available, you may substitute dried herbs, but reduce the quantities to 2-3 tsp. each. Frenched Lamb racks are available in vac packs most everywhere. If not, ask your butcher to french them for you.
Top Review by TLu
Made this for Easter and it was a success. Adjusted cooking time for larger racks of lamb. We decided that omitting the mint next time would be more to our taste. Thanks again for a keeper!
- 2 3⁄4 lbs lamb racks, frenched
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh Greek oregano, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh spearmint, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 4 large garlic cloves, fine minced
- 2 -3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- fresh coarse ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Day before, up till one hour before cooking, salt and pepper Lamb to taste.
- Rub Lamb gently to coat with EVOO.
- Rub minced garlic evenly to Lamb.
- Combine herbs, fluff together, and spread evenly on cutting board.
- Roll lamb in chopped herbs to coat, sprinkling herbs onto the concave side of the rack, or anywhere that they don't stick.
- Allow all to macerate 1- 24 hours.
- Allow meat to come to room temp before grilling.
- 30-45 minutes before grilling, prepare a hot grill for direct/indirect grilling.
- Stand racks up on end facing eachother so as to support eachother, and grill on high heat 3-4 minutes.
- Grill outside of racks on high heat 2-3 minutes.
- Drop coals, or reduce heat to medium and grill inside side of racks 2-3 minutes, or to an internal temp of 115*.
- Rest meat 10 minutes before carving.
- Slice using bones for a guide (should look like rare lamb chops.).
- Serve on platter w/ rosemary sprig and/or mint leaves.
- Note: Cooking times will vary depending on cut of meat, type of grill, etc. As with all grill recipes, use your own judgement.