Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Savoury stuffed chicken breasts served with a sun-dried tomato-cream sauce that’s out of this world. The breasts may be prepared ahead of time. Adapted from Chicken Farmers of Canada.
- 8 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 8 ounces goat cheese, softened
- 1⁄2 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest, grated
For The Sauce
- 1⁄2 cup dry-packed sun-dried tomato
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 sweet onion, large, quartered, thinly sliced
- 4 cups cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 cup dry sherry
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup whipping cream
- In a bowl, combine goat cheese, basil, oregano, thyme, lemon rind, salt and pepper; set aside. (Make-ahead: Refrigerate in airtight container for up to 8 hours.)
- With sharp knife held horizontally and starting at thinner side, cut each chicken breast in half almost but not all the way through; open like book. Place between sheets of plastic wrap; pound with mallet to even thickness.
- Roll 2 tablespoons of the filling into a log shape; place into crease of chicken breast. Fold top and bottom over ends of log; fold side edges of chicken over log to overlap. Turn chicken over so seam is underneath. Repeat with remaining chicken. (Make-ahead: Cover and refrigerate for up to 8 hours.)
- Brush chicken with oil; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place on greased rimmed baking sheet. Roast in 375 degree oven until chicken is cooked through about 20-30 minutes.
- In a bowl, cover tomatoes with boiling water; let stand until softened, about 10 minutes. Drain and dice.
- In large skillet, melt half of the butter over medium heat; fry onions until very soft and golden brown, about 20 minutes. Transfer to bowl.
- Increase heat to medium-high. Add remaining butter; saute mushrooms and garlic until softened, about 5 minutes. Return onions to pan. Add sherry; cook until reduced by half, about 3 minutes. Stir in tomatoes.
- Add stock and cream; bring to boil, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until sauce is thick enough to coat back of spoon, about 4 minutes.
- Slice each chicken breast on angle into 4 pieces. Spoon sauce onto plates; arrange chicken over sauce.