Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
Really nice on crackers or spread on Bruschetta! Updated 27/09/2006: As pointed out by NeonPrincess, light/lite olive oil is better to use. This is what I normally use and failed to document it. Thanks!!! :-)
- 250 g danish feta cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried herbs (basil, oregano, parsley, thyme)
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon whole grain mustard
- 1 teaspoon basil pesto
- cracked black pepper
- light olive oil
- Mix into a jar with a good seal (eg. approx 200g glass coffee jar) 1/2 cup of oil and all other ingredients, except Feta Cheese.
- Cut Feta into approximately 2cm cubes. Add cubes to jar, a few at a time and then swirl oil to coat cheese.
- When as much cheese is in jar that will fit, cap jar and invert a few times to coat cheese thoroughly, then top up with more oil til all cheese is coated. Invert jar a few more times and refrigerate.
- The Olive Oil will solidify when refrigerated. Use in salads or serve at room temperature with crusty bread. Reserve marinated oil to use in dressings.
- Marinate for at least 24 hours, will keep in refrigerator for up to 2 months.
I used a really good extra virgin olive oil. I omitted the mustard. For the pesto, I used sun-dried tomato pesto. The feta tastes so good in this marinade. I used it in this recipe (Roasted Asparagus & Peppers With Feta) Thanks Delicious Bits :) Made for PAC Spring 2013
This was lovely and delicious. I also like the method and that you can top up the jar with more feta cubes. Thanks for the great recipe.
This was great! Much cheaper than buying marinated feta in the shops. Next time I will use a lighter olive oil as the taste overpowered the flavours of the other ingredients.