Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
Chili Nation—Jane and Michael Stern. If you do not have fresh herbs, then don’t bother with this recipe. Heat level is low.
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh marjoram
- 1⁄4 cup snipped fresh chives
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 cup canned tomatillo
- 1 (4 1/2 ounce) can mild green chilies
- 3⁄4 cup chicken broth
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄3 cup chopped scallion
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1⁄2 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon green jalapeno powder (penderys.com)
- salt, to taste
- 1 tablespoon masa harina (dissolved in 1/4 c. water)
- boiled small spring potato
Directions See How It's Made
- In a food processor or blender, combine the marjoram, chives, parsley, oregano, basil, tomatillos, green chilies, and chicken broth.
- Pulse until the mixture is a very coarse puree, not smooth; set aside.
- In a big skillet, saute the garlic and scallions in the oil until soft.
- Add in the chicken; sprinkle in the sugar and brown the chicken well.
- Add in the herb puree and jalapeno powder.
- Cook over low heat for 7 minutes.
- Taste and add salt as needed.
- Stir in the masa harina mixture and cook for 4 minutes, until thickened.
- Serve with boiled small spring potatoes.