Prep 10 mins
Cook 8 hrs
I found this recipe on the Crockpot365 Blogspot. Ther recipe included this note "This is a great whole roasted chicken recipe, and a nice change of pace from the peppery flavor of rotisserie chicken (still a family favorite!). I prefer to cook my sides separately, but if you'd like, you can throw in some potatoes, carrots, and celery for an all-in-one-pot meal. Or, after removing the chicken from the pot, you can cook rice as a side in the pan drippings (this makes amazing rice)."
- 1 (5 lb) whole chickens, skinned 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Use a 6-quart slow cooker. Using poultry shears, skin the bird the best you can, and remove the neck and gizzards (oh ick) from the body cavity. In a small mixing bowl, combine all of the spices with the Parmesan cheese and set aside. Rub the olive oil all over the bird, inside and out, and place it into an empty slow cooker.
- Sprinkle on the cheese and herb mixture, and rub it into all sides of the bird, shoving a bunch inside. Do not add water.
- Cover and cook on low for 7 to 8 hours, or on high for 4 to 5. Check the internal temperature of the chicken with a meat thermometer to ensure doneness. The meat will be quite tender and fall from the bone easily.