Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
Found this in Everyday with Rachael Ray Magazine.
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup beer
- 1 cup fresh herb, chopped (use a variety, such as basil, chives, dill, parsley, rosemary, sage, tarragon, thyme)
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 lemon, juice and zest of
- 1 dash hot pepper sauce (Tabasco)
- peanut oil, for frying
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine flour and salt. Whisk in the egg and beer until mixture is smooth. Stir in herbs and let stand for about 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 200°F Line baking sheet with paper towels and set aside. In another bowl, mix together the mayonnaise, lemon juice and zest, and hot sauce. Set aside.
- Fill a large, heavy saucepan with about 3 inches of oil. Once oil is heated to 365F, whisk batter and, working in batches, drop by tablespoons and fry, turning every so often, until fritters are crisp and golden. It should take about 3 or 4 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer to lined baking sheet; keep warm in oven. Serve fritters with the lemon sauce.