Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
It could be for any cut of lamb. This is an old recipe judging from the color of the paper. It is an old clipping that was in my recipe box.
- 5 lbs lamb, your choice of cut
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon powdered ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sage
- 1⁄2 teaspoon marjoram
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon salad oil
- 1 bay leaf
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Cut small slits in the lamb meat.
- Combine all ingredients except the lamb and the bay leaf.
- Rub the herb blend over the meat thoroughly.
- Place on a rack in a roasting pan. Put the bay leaf in the pan under the rack and roast uncovered until done. If cooking a leg of lamb, roast between 18-12 minutes a pound until done to your liking. Let meat rest 20 minutes before carving.
- This will generate a pan gravy to serve with the lamb. Just remember to remove the bay leaf.
This is from the New York Times Cookbook. My mom always made our Easter lamb with this recipe and it is my absolute favorite!!!!