Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is a hearty stew and can be made from canned stew vegetables(see my recipe). I got this from the Ball Blue Book of Canning.
- 1 (1 quart) jarstew vegetables
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons water
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon minced mixed herbs, parsley,basil and thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream or 2 tablespoons milk
- To make stew: Drain liquid from vegetables, reserving 1 1/2 cups.
- Combine cornstarch and water, stirring to dissolve cornstarch.
- Add reserved liquid.
- Cook until mixture thickens.
- Stir in drained vegetables; set aside.
- To make crust: Combine flour, herbs, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl.
- With a pastry blender or two forks, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Stir in cream just until blended.
- Form dough into a ball.
- On a llightly floured surface, roll dough 1/4-inch thick.
- Cut dough into two 6-inch circles; cut vents in center of each dough round to allow steam to escape.
- Divide vegetable mixture between two 6-inch individual casserole dishes.
- Top each with crust.
- Place casserole dishes on a baking sheet.
- Bake at 350* for 30 to 35 minutes or until crust is golden brown.
- Cool 10 minutes on a wire rack.
- Serve warm.
this was very filling and great for chilly nights i made a roast to go with it on the side only because i have a son who thinks meat has to be with every meal