1/5 Photos of Herb Crusted Tofu With Mushroom Gravy
This is a recipe sent in to Vegetarian Times magazine from Suchitra Swift. I love crispy tofu and with this gravy it becomes comfort food!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (16 ounce) package extra firm tofu
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian herb seasoning
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (I only use a pinch)
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1Drain the tofu and cut into 6 slices.
- 2To Make Herb Crust:.
- 3Combine all the ingredients except the oil in a shallow bowl.
- 4To Make Mushroom Gravy:.
- 5Saute the onion in olive oil over medium high heat. Stir it often for 5 minutes, or until it is browned. Add the rosemary, the mushrooms and a pinch of salt. Add the broth, and simmer it until the mushrooms are tender, about 10 minutes.
- 6Meanwhile, heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium high heat( be careful not to burn it). Then coat the tofu cutlets with the herb crust. Place in the oil, and fry 4-5 minutes on each side until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
- 7Heat the gravy over high heat.Mix the cornstarch with 1/4 cup cold water; whisk into the gravy until it's thickened, and remove from heat.
- 8Spoon the mushroom gravy over the tofu cutlets. Serve and enjoy!
Browse Our Top Soy/Tofu Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Herb Crusted Tofu With Mushroom Gravy
Serving Size: 1 (223 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 461.9
- Calories from Fat 350
- Total Fat 38.9 g
- Saturated Fat 5.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 598.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 1.7 g
- Protein 10.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: