Recipe by Sharon123
This is a recipe sent in to Vegetarian Times magazine from Suchitra Swift. I love crispy tofu and with this gravy it becomes comfort food!
Top Review by TasteTester
This is a great recipe for frying tofu -- it stayed nice and firm, but I cooked it for 4 minutes over high heat and it came out with a dark crust. I lowered the heat to about medium/medium-high and cooked the other side for 4 minutes. That side was nicely browned and crisp. I cut away the dark side of the tofu before serving, and I could then taste the great seasonings in the herb crust. No bland tofu taste in this recipe, and the mushroom gravy was great over it. Next time I'll cook the tofu on the lower heat and double the gravy -- it was so good that everyone wanted enough to mix in with the rice I served alongside. I'm really glad I found a tofu recipe that is finally crispy, as my son and DH loved it this way. REVISED review -- we loved the taste of this recipe, so I made it again yesterday, cooking over medium heat on each side -- on our stove it came out perfect at that setting -- crunchy crust and great flavor!
- 1 (16 ounce) package extra firm tofu
- 1⁄2 cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian herb seasoning
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (I only use a pinch)
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, chopped fine
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons dried rosemary
- 5 button mushrooms, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable broth
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
Directions See How It's Made
- Drain the tofu and cut into 6 slices.
- To Make Herb Crust:.
- Combine all the ingredients except the oil in a shallow bowl.
- To Make Mushroom Gravy:.
- Saute the onion in olive oil over medium high heat. Stir it often for 5 minutes, or until it is browned. Add the rosemary, the mushrooms and a pinch of salt. Add the broth, and simmer it until the mushrooms are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium high heat( be careful not to burn it). Then coat the tofu cutlets with the herb crust. Place in the oil, and fry 4-5 minutes on each side until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
- Heat the gravy over high heat.Mix the cornstarch with 1/4 cup cold water; whisk into the gravy until it's thickened, and remove from heat.
- Spoon the mushroom gravy over the tofu cutlets. Serve and enjoy!