This is a recipe sent in to Vegetarian Times magazine from Suchitra Swift. I love crispy tofu and with this gravy it becomes comfort food!
- 1 (16 ounce) package extra firm tofu
- 1⁄2 cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian herb seasoning
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (I only use a pinch)
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, chopped fine
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons dried rosemary
- 5 button mushrooms, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable broth
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- Drain the tofu and cut into 6 slices.
- To Make Herb Crust:.
- Combine all the ingredients except the oil in a shallow bowl.
- To Make Mushroom Gravy:.
- Saute the onion in olive oil over medium high heat. Stir it often for 5 minutes, or until it is browned. Add the rosemary, the mushrooms and a pinch of salt. Add the broth, and simmer it until the mushrooms are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium high heat( be careful not to burn it). Then coat the tofu cutlets with the herb crust. Place in the oil, and fry 4-5 minutes on each side until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
- Heat the gravy over high heat.Mix the cornstarch with 1/4 cup cold water; whisk into the gravy until it's thickened, and remove from heat.
- Spoon the mushroom gravy over the tofu cutlets. Serve and enjoy!