Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
I have put this together after experimenting with several ways to achieve what I wanted. It makes a wonderful herb crunch on the fish and could be used on other types of fish as well.
- 2-4 tilapia fillets
- 118.29 ml all-purpose flour
- 14.79 ml creole seasoning
- 14.79 ml garlic powder
- 9.85 ml dried thyme
- 14.79 ml dried parsley flakes
- 14.79 ml dried basil
- 4.92-9.85 ml cayenne pepper (your choice)
- 1.23 ml black pepper
- 4.92 ml salt
- 29.58 ml canola oil
- buttermilk, enough to cover fish
- Combine all spices/dry ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
- Cover fish with buttermilk approximately 1 hour prior to cooking.
- Spread the spice mixture onto a flat plate.
- Press the fish fillets firmly into the spices, coating both sides.
- Heat the oil until almost smoking in a large heavy skillet. (I use a large electric skillet set at 350 deg.).
- Cook the fish about 3 minutes on each side for fillets less than 3/4 inch thick. Increase time slightly for thicker fillets.
- Serve with lemon wedges. We like stone ground grits with our fish in lieu of potatoes.
This is an awesome recipe! The buttermilk causes the herbs to stick and form a wonderful crust on the fish. I used it on rock cod also and it was fantastic. Thanks for this recipe MewMew it will be a regular.