Recipe by mewmew
I have put this together after experimenting with several ways to achieve what I wanted. It makes a wonderful herb crunch on the fish and could be used on other types of fish as well.
Top Review by Biohazard
This is an awesome recipe! The buttermilk causes the herbs to stick and form a wonderful crust on the fish. I used it on rock cod also and it was fantastic. Thanks for this recipe MewMew it will be a regular.
- 2-4 tilapia fillets
- 118.29 ml all-purpose flour
- 14.79 ml creole seasoning
- 14.79 ml garlic powder
- 9.85 ml dried thyme
- 14.79 ml dried parsley flakes
- 14.79 ml dried basil
- 4.92-9.85 ml cayenne pepper (your choice)
- 1.23 ml black pepper
- 4.92 ml salt
- 29.58 ml canola oil
- buttermilk, enough to cover fish
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine all spices/dry ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
- Cover fish with buttermilk approximately 1 hour prior to cooking.
- Spread the spice mixture onto a flat plate.
- Press the fish fillets firmly into the spices, coating both sides.
- Heat the oil until almost smoking in a large heavy skillet. (I use a large electric skillet set at 350 deg.).
- Cook the fish about 3 minutes on each side for fillets less than 3/4 inch thick. Increase time slightly for thicker fillets.
- Serve with lemon wedges. We like stone ground grits with our fish in lieu of potatoes.