I have put this together after experimenting with several ways to achieve what I wanted. It makes a wonderful herb crunch on the fish and could be used on other types of fish as well.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 -4 tilapia fillets
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon creole seasoning
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 -2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (your choice)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- buttermilk, enough to cover fish
- 1Combine all spices/dry ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
- 2Cover fish with buttermilk approximately 1 hour prior to cooking.
- 3Spread the spice mixture onto a flat plate.
- 4Press the fish fillets firmly into the spices, coating both sides.
- 5Heat the oil until almost smoking in a large heavy skillet. (I use a large electric skillet set at 350 deg.).
- 6Cook the fish about 3 minutes on each side for fillets less than 3/4 inch thick. Increase time slightly for thicker fillets.
- 7Serve with lemon wedges. We like stone ground grits with our fish in lieu of potatoes.
Browse Our Top Saltwater Fish Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Herb Crusted Tilapia
Serving Size: 1 (166 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 265.7
- Calories from Fat 132
- Total Fat 14.7 g
- Saturated Fat 1.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1171.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 0.4 g
- Protein 4.7 g