Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This recipe is from Good Taste Magazine. I want to try it.
- 1⁄4 cup Dijon mustard
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped thyme
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt & fresh ground pepper
- 2 kg piece filet of beef
- 50 g butter
- 3 onions, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped thyme, extra
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 300 ml red wine
- 600 ml beef stock
- Preheat oven to 220°C.
- Combine mustard, thyme, and oil in bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
- Rub mixture over beef. (can marinate covered in refrigerator for up to 3 hours).
- Place in roasting pan.
- Roast in oven for 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours. Remove from oven to a serving plate and cover with foil and set aside for 15 minutes.
- To make gravy melt butter in saucepan until foaming. Add onion, garlic and extra thyme and cook stirring occasionally for 25 minutes. Add flour stir constantly for 30 seconds until golden.
- Gradually pour in wine, stirring all the time and bring to the boil.
- Cook stirring for 2-3 minutes until reduced by half.
- Add stock and reserved pan juices and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and strain if you want a smooth gravy.