2 hrs 15 mins
1 hr 45 mins
Weber's Real Grilling
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium carrot, roughly chopped
- 2 stalks celery, roughly chopped
- 1 medium yellow onion, roughly chopped
- 5 medium garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 cups beef broth
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh rosemary
- fresh ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- kosher salt
- 1 (5 lb) boneless beef rib roast, trimmed of excess fat
- extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons herbes de provence
- 1Make the sauce: in a large saucepan over high heat, warm the olive oil; add in carrots, celery, and onion; cook until the vegetables begin to brown, 6-8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 2Add in garlic; cook for 2 more minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 3Decrease heat to medium, add in tomato paste; cook about 2 more minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 4Add in broth, wine, vinegar, bay leaves, rosemary, and ½ teaspoon pepper; mix well.
- 5Bring to a boil over high heat, then decrease heat and let simmer 45 minutes.
- 6Strain sauce through a sieve into a medium saucepan, pressing down on the solids with the back of a spoon.
- 7Continue to simmer until about ¼ cup of liquid remains, about 45 more minutes.
- 8Add the butter 1 tablespoon at a time, whisking to melt them.
- 9Season with salt and pepper to taste; remove sauce from heat.
- 10Let beef stand at room temperature 30-45 minutes before grilling; lightly brush or spray the roast all over with oil and season with the herbes de Provence, and salt and pepper to taste.
- 11Grill beef over Indirect Medium heat until cooked to desired doneness, 1 ½-1 ¾ hours for medium rare, but start checking with an instant-read thermometer after 1 ¼ hours.
- 12Transfer the beef to a cutting board, loosely cover with foil; let rest for 10-20 minutes.
- 13Meanwhile, warm the sauce over medium heat; carve the beef and serve warm with the sauce.
Browse Our Top < 4 Hours Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All < 4 Hours Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Herb-Crusted Prime Rib With Red Wine Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (175 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 180.9
- Calories from Fat 113
- Total Fat 12.5 g
- Saturated Fat 5.6 g
- Cholesterol 20.3 mg
- Sodium 512.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 4.0 g
- Protein 2.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
boneless beef rib roast
herbes de provence