Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 45 mins
Weber's Real Grilling
Make and share this Herb-Crusted Prime Rib With Red Wine Sauce recipe from Food.com.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium carrot, roughly chopped
- 2 stalks celery, roughly chopped
- 1 medium yellow onion, roughly chopped
- 5 medium garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 cups beef broth
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1⁄4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh rosemary
- fresh ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- kosher salt
- 1 (5 lb) boneless beef rib roast, trimmed of excess fat
- extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons herbes de provence
- Make the sauce: in a large saucepan over high heat, warm the olive oil; add in carrots, celery, and onion; cook until the vegetables begin to brown, 6-8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add in garlic; cook for 2 more minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Decrease heat to medium, add in tomato paste; cook about 2 more minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add in broth, wine, vinegar, bay leaves, rosemary, and ½ teaspoon pepper; mix well.
- Bring to a boil over high heat, then decrease heat and let simmer 45 minutes.
- Strain sauce through a sieve into a medium saucepan, pressing down on the solids with the back of a spoon.
- Continue to simmer until about ¼ cup of liquid remains, about 45 more minutes.
- Add the butter 1 tablespoon at a time, whisking to melt them.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste; remove sauce from heat.
- Let beef stand at room temperature 30-45 minutes before grilling; lightly brush or spray the roast all over with oil and season with the herbes de Provence, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Grill beef over Indirect Medium heat until cooked to desired doneness, 1 ½-1 ¾ hours for medium rare, but start checking with an instant-read thermometer after 1 ¼ hours.
- Transfer the beef to a cutting board, loosely cover with foil; let rest for 10-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, warm the sauce over medium heat; carve the beef and serve warm with the sauce.