Prep 25 mins
Cook 30 mins
Here is a great dish that is not to time consuming, but one that can be made for 2 people or up the ingredients for 10. I will say now and repeat below as I do not want anyone to miss this, cook chicken until crisp and serve sauce on the side otherwise chicken will go soggy. I have poured sauce over for presentation and photo purposes. Everyone else that I served, I served it on a plate, with sauce in gravy jug, so that it could be poured to one side, on the plate or alternatively it can be served in individual dipping bowls. It is a great accompaniment with the chicken but as I have said, the chicken comes out so lovely and crisp, you want that crispness to be enjoyed throughout the whole meal.
- olive oil
- 4 chicken breasts
- plain flour
- 4 medium eggs, beaten lightly
- 1 3⁄4-2 cups panko breadcrumbs, flakes (Japanese breadcrumbs I have never gone back to regular breadcrumbs after finding these, I love them,)
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons parsley, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon tarragon, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
Saffron Cream Sauce
- 15 g butter
- 1⁄2 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 pinch saffron
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granule
- 80 ml dry white wine
- 160 ml cream
- 90 ml milk
- 1 teaspoon cornflour
- 1 small tomatoes, peeled, seeded and diced
- Pound each chicken breast so that they are approximately all the same thickness.
- In a medium bowl combine breadcrumbs, chives, parsley, garlic and tarragon.
- Toss chicken in flour to coat, shake off any excess and dip into eggs and then into breadcrumb/herb mixture, coat well. Repeat with remaining breasts cover and refrigerate about 20-30 Min's.
- Heat a couple of tablespoons olive oil in a large pan (Note: you may have to add extra during cooking as the breadcrumb mixture absorbs quite a lot.) Add chicken and cook until browned and crisp on both sides and cooked all the way through.
- It is hard to give an exact time per side as breasts vary in thickness, therefore cooking times will vary. If you think that the chicken is not cooked all the way through, but the outside will get too crispy if left on, just turn the heat down and continue cooking until done turning chicken occasionally.
- Cream Sauce.
- Heat butter in a pan, add onion and garlic, cook until soft.
- Add wine and saffron, simmer uncovered a few minutes to reduce slightly.
- Add stock, milk, cream, add a little water to cornflour mix and add to sauce. Stir until mixture boils and thickens, stir in tomato.
- To serve. Place chicken on plate with the sauce in a gravy jug or individual dipping bowls. As stated above you do not want to pour sauce directly over chicken just on the plate to one side, as the outside of chicken will go soggy, and you want to be able to enjoy the crunchy coating throughout the entire meal.
- I served this with garlic buttered spinach and mash, but it also pairs well with rice.
This certainly makes for a very elegant dish. The chicken was juicy and tender on the inside and tasty and crispy on the outside. The saffron cream sauce is very rich and a little goes a long way. As per The Flying Chef's recommendation, I served the sauce in little dipping bowls and it worked out perfectly. Made for Dec 2010 Aus/NZ Swap.
Wow this was DELICIOUS!! I loved the panko bread crumbs coating. The mixture of the herbs was just perfect. I used fresh herbs from my garden which was excellent timing for making this recipe. The saffron sauce was subtle and great dipped with the chicken. I will defiantly make this again.
Loved the tastes of the herbs and the sauce (though mine came out rather thin and there was lots of it, so would only make a half quantity of the sauce which would still be plenty for us and due to allergy reasons I had to use spring onion for the onion and used regular dry breadcrumbs). I browned my chicken 3 minutes per side till crispy brown and then put on a rack and finished cooking in the oven for about 10 minutes - lovely moist crispy chicken. Thank you The Flying Chef, made for Edition 8 - Make My Recipe.