1/5 Photos of Herb-Crumbed Crispy Chicken With Saffron Cream Sauce
The Flying Chef's Note:
Here is a great dish that is not to time consuming, but one that can be made for 2 people or up the ingredients for 10. I will say now and repeat below as I do not want anyone to miss this, cook chicken until crisp and serve sauce on the side otherwise chicken will go soggy. I have poured sauce over for presentation and photo purposes. Everyone else that I served, I served it on a plate, with sauce in gravy jug, so that it could be poured to one side, on the plate or alternatively it can be served in individual dipping bowls. It is a great accompaniment with the chicken but as I have said, the chicken comes out so lovely and crisp, you want that crispness to be enjoyed throughout the whole meal.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- olive oil
- 4 chicken breasts
- plain flour
- 4 medium eggs, beaten lightly
- 1 3/4-2 cups panko breadcrumbs, flakes (Japanese breadcrumbs I have never gone back to regular breadcrumbs after finding these, I love them,)
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives, chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons parsley, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon tarragon, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
Saffron Cream Sauce
- 1Pound each chicken breast so that they are approximately all the same thickness.
- 2In a medium bowl combine breadcrumbs, chives, parsley, garlic and tarragon.
- 3Toss chicken in flour to coat, shake off any excess and dip into eggs and then into breadcrumb/herb mixture, coat well. Repeat with remaining breasts cover and refrigerate about 20-30 Min's.
- 4Heat a couple of tablespoons olive oil in a large pan (Note: you may have to add extra during cooking as the breadcrumb mixture absorbs quite a lot.) Add chicken and cook until browned and crisp on both sides and cooked all the way through.
- 5It is hard to give an exact time per side as breasts vary in thickness, therefore cooking times will vary. If you think that the chicken is not cooked all the way through, but the outside will get too crispy if left on, just turn the heat down and continue cooking until done turning chicken occasionally.
- 6Cream Sauce.
- 7Heat butter in a pan, add onion and garlic, cook until soft.
- 8Add wine and saffron, simmer uncovered a few minutes to reduce slightly.
- 9Add stock, milk, cream, add a little water to cornflour mix and add to sauce. Stir until mixture boils and thickens, stir in tomato.
- 10To serve. Place chicken on plate with the sauce in a gravy jug or individual dipping bowls. As stated above you do not want to pour sauce directly over chicken just on the plate to one side, as the outside of chicken will go soggy, and you want to be able to enjoy the crunchy coating throughout the entire meal.
- 11I served this with garlic buttered spinach and mash, but it also pairs well with rice.
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Herb-Crumbed Crispy Chicken With Saffron Cream Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (360 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 694.4
- Calories from Fat 331
- Total Fat 36.8 g
- Saturated Fat 16.1 g
- Cholesterol 312.9 mg
- Sodium 675.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 4.4 g
- Protein 44.6 g