Recipe by swissms
From St. Ernan's House, Donegal Town, Ireland. Published in Bon Appetit, May 1996.
Top Review by Queen Dana
This was really good. I salted and peppered the chicken. My chicken breasts were too small to stuff so I pounded them thin and rolled the cream cheese inside which worked well.
- 2 large red bell peppers
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- 1⁄4 cup canned low sodium chicken broth
- 4 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
Directions See How It's Made
- Char bell peppers over gas flame or in broiler until blackened on all sides. Wrap in paper bag and let stand 10 minutes. Peel and seed peppers. Puree peppers in processor until smooth. Transfer puree to heavy small saucepan. Add whipping cream and chicken broth. Boil until reduced to 1 cup, about 4 minutes. Season sauce to taste with salt and pepper. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate.).
- Preheat oven to 350°F Mix cream cheese and tarragon in small bowl to blend. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Pound chicken between sheets of plastic wrap to 1/4-inch thickness. Spread 2 T cheese mixture over each breast, leaving 1/2-inch border on all sides. Starting at 1 short end, roll up each breast. Secure seam and ends with toothpicks. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper.
- Heat olive oil in heavy large oven-proof skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook until brown on all sides, about 4 minutes. Pour white wine around chicken. Transfer skillet to oven; bake until chicken is cooked through about 10 minutes.
- Transfer chicken to work surface. Remove toothpicks. Cut chicken breasts into 1-inch-wide slices. Bring sauce to simmer. Spoon sauce onto plates. Arrange chicken atop sauce and serve.