Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
The restaurant next to my old office building used to give you a piece of this wonderful bread with every meal. When they sold the restaurant, they gave out the wonderful recipe. Enjoy!
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sage
- 1⁄4 cup margarine or 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese or 1 cup old cheddar cheese or 1 cup monterey jack cheese
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup yogurt
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄8 cup poppy seed
- Combine dry ingredients.
- Cut in margarine or butter.
- Combine cheese, egg, yogurt and milk, and add to other ingredients.
- Dump into a round or square 9-inch pan, sprinkle with poppy seeds.
- Bake at 350°F for 30-45 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
Made this with chicken and noodles tonight. Took me 10 minutes longer to cook than recipe stated. I think it needed fresh herbs instead of dried and a little more cheese. I double checked the recipe when I noticed it didn't require salt? I didn't add it but MAN did it need it. A little sprinkling on each piece did the trick. Used greek yougurt.
A really good quick bread. I was pressed for time and melted the butter instead of cutting it in; it came out just fine, so will keep doing that!. I omitted the sage otherwise made as stated. I used an 8 inch square pan and it came out just right in 38 min. Half of it is now in the freezer :) Made for Zaar Stars Tag.
Salt needs to be in this recipe; the other reviewers are correct. This bread is flat without salt. I sprinkled REAL SALT on the bread when I had some by itself. When served with tasty meat, it may not be necessary. The bread looks and smells nice; it needs salt in the ingredients list.