Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a lot of work, but it's so delicious. It tastes even better reheated the second day!
Make and share this Herb Biscuit-Topped Chicken Pot Pie recipe from Food.com.
- 1 (4 lb) chicken
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 carrots, chopped
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 1⁄2 lb fresh mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 5 cups chicken broth (reserve 5 cups of the poaching water from the chicken)
- 1 (16 ounce) package frozen peas
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- salt and pepper
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 3 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cold sweet butter, cut into 1/4 inch pieces
- 1⁄4 cup minced fresh rosemary (or thyme or sage or a mix)
- 1 1⁄2 cups buttermilk
- Put the chicken on a pot large enough to hold it and add enough water to cover the chicken by an inch.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 45 minutes, skimming off the gunk that forms on top once in a while.
- Preheat the oven to 375.
- Make the biscuit dough: Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together.
- Cut in the butter using a pastry cutter or a food processor until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Toss in the herbs and add 1-1/4 cup buttermilk.
- Mix until the dough begins to stick together, adding the remaining buttermilk 1 tablespoon at a time, if necessary.
- Form into a ball, wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate until needed.
- Set the chicken aside to cool until cool enough to handle.
- Reserve 5 cups of the poaching liquid.
- Melt the butter in a large skillet and saute the carrots, celery, and mushrooms over moderately high heat.
- Cook about 10 minutes, or until light brown.
- Add the flour and cook until light brown, about 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Whisk in the reserved broth, 1 cup at a time.
- Continue whisking and bring to a low boil.
- Add the peas, sage, and salt and pepper.
- Simmer for 10 to 15 minutes until thick and creamy, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the skin from the chicken and discard.
- Pull the chicken meat off the bones in large chunks; add to the vegetable mixture.
- Pour the vegetable mixture into a 9x13-inch baking dish.
- Tear off small pieces of biscuit dough and completely cover the top of the vegetable mixture.
- Beat together the egg and milk; brush over the biscuits.
- Bake 25-30 minutes, until the biscuits are golden and the vegetable mixture is bubbling around the edges.
Wonderful recipe! I was looking for something that used biscuits instead of a pie crust. The herb seasoning really added to it! I had a rosemary-herb blend seasoning that I used and it was perfect. My 13-year-old son especially liked the biscuits! The only substitutions that I made were in the way of the vegetables...used frozen mixed instead of just peas; omitted the carrots since they were in the mixed veg. and browned onions along with the celery instead. The gravy wasn't as thick as I would have liked, but it was still very good. I cheated with the chicken as I had some cut up turkey in the freezer that I thawed and used instead, which makes the recipe a lot more time friendly.