1 hr 30 mins
This is a lot of work, but it's so delicious. It tastes even better reheated the second day!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (4 lb) chicken
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 carrots, chopped
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 1/2 lb fresh mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 5 cups chicken broth (reserve 5 cups of the poaching water from the chicken)
- 1 (16 ounce) package frozen peas
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- salt and pepper
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1Put the chicken on a pot large enough to hold it and add enough water to cover the chicken by an inch.
- 2Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 45 minutes, skimming off the gunk that forms on top once in a while.
- 3Preheat the oven to 375.
- 4Make the biscuit dough: Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together.
- 5Cut in the butter using a pastry cutter or a food processor until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
- 6Toss in the herbs and add 1-1/4 cup buttermilk.
- 7Mix until the dough begins to stick together, adding the remaining buttermilk 1 tablespoon at a time, if necessary.
- 8Form into a ball, wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate until needed.
- 9Set the chicken aside to cool until cool enough to handle.
- 10Reserve 5 cups of the poaching liquid.
- 11Melt the butter in a large skillet and saute the carrots, celery, and mushrooms over moderately high heat.
- 12Cook about 10 minutes, or until light brown.
- 13Add the flour and cook until light brown, about 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- 14Whisk in the reserved broth, 1 cup at a time.
- 15Continue whisking and bring to a low boil.
- 16Add the peas, sage, and salt and pepper.
- 17Simmer for 10 to 15 minutes until thick and creamy, stirring occasionally.
- 18Remove the skin from the chicken and discard.
- 19Pull the chicken meat off the bones in large chunks; add to the vegetable mixture.
- 20Pour the vegetable mixture into a 9x13-inch baking dish.
- 21Tear off small pieces of biscuit dough and completely cover the top of the vegetable mixture.
- 22Beat together the egg and milk; brush over the biscuits.
- 23Bake 25-30 minutes, until the biscuits are golden and the vegetable mixture is bubbling around the edges.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Herb Biscuit-Topped Chicken Pot Pie
Serving Size: 1 (672 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 910.9
- Calories from Fat 499
- Total Fat 55.5 g
- Saturated Fat 26.9 g
- Cholesterol 216.2 mg
- Sodium 1278.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 60.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.5 g
- Sugars 8.1 g
- Protein 41.8 g