Prep 35 mins
Cook 3 hrs
I developed this recipe for a reception where I did not want to use tomato/BBQ based glaze so it would be easier on carpets and clean up, yet still have great flavor. Got lots of positive response. I make it in a crockpot for ease while preparing the rest of a menu, but you could easily bake these. I serve it over rice (for dinner at home) and the sauce is great on that.
- 2 (3 lb) chicken wings, drummies pkgs thawed
- 3 tablespoons corn oil
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mild Hungarian paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon honey mustard or 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon louisiana hot sauce or 1⁄2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 3 tablespoons kikkoman reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1 (18 ounce) jar apricot jam or 1 (18 ounce) jar peach jam
- 4 tablespoons bottled lime juice or 4 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- In a large non-stick skillet, brown the wings in the oil in 2 batches. Sprinkle one half of the dry spices and herbs over each batch as it is browning. This will take about 12 minutes for each batch.
- After all wings are browned, place them in your crockpot and turn on high. Place lime juice and soy sauce in skillet, and stir with a spatula to remove browned bits. Scrape pan juices into crockpot.
- Mix mustard, jam, cornstarch and hot sauce in a small bowl with a whisk. Add this to the wings in the crockpot. Stir to mix sauce and wings, then cook on high in crockpot until drummies are tender, but not falling off the bone. Or, cook longer on low.