Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 7 mins
This is comfort food at its best. A great weeknight meal, just add mashed potatoes and a salad and your set. It can be prepared the night before and refrigerated. Enjoy.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- 1 cup roasted garlic and herb pasta sauce (divided use)
- 2 lbs lean ground turkey
- 10 ounces frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- 1⁄2 cup uncooked oats
- 2 teaspoons italian seasoning
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- vegetable oil cooking spray
- additional roasted garlic and herb pasta sauce (optional)
- Saute onion and garlic in hot oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, 3 minutes. Add carrots and saute 3 to 4 minutes or until onion is tender; cool slightly.
- Combine onion mixture, 1/2 cup pasta sauce, turkey, spinach, oats, seasonings and egg in a large bowl until blended. Shape into a 10-inch-by-5-inch loaf. Place on a rack coated with cooking spray. Place rack in broiler pan coated with cooking spray.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. Spread remaining 1/2 cup pasta sauce over loaf and bake 10 to 15 more minutes or until a thermometer inserted into thickest portion registers 155 degrees.
- Cover loosely with aluminum foil,and let stand 10 minutes. Serve with additional pasta sauce, if desired.