Recipe by Chef mariajane
Popovers are similar to Yorkshire puddings and this version has added herbs and the wonderful zip of Canadian Swiss cheese. Serve them as a side dish with roast chicken, pork and of course, roast beef!!
- 3 eggs, at room temperature
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup canadian swiss cheese, shredded
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme, chopped (or 1/2 tsp. dried)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 425°F
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat eggs until foamy; beat in milk until blended. Add flour and beat on low speed until well blended. Stir in cheese, parsley, thyme, salt and pepper.
- Brush a 12-cup nonstick muffin pan generously with melted butter. Heat in oven for 2 minutes. Remove pan from oven and carefully scoop batter into cups, dividing equally (about a scant 1/3 cup each).
- Bake for 20 minutes, until puffed and golden brown. Reduce oven temperature to 350F and bake for about 10-15 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Place muffin pan on a wire rack. Using a sharp knife, pierce the side of each popover. Let cool for 2 minutes. Remove from pans and serve hot.