1/3 Photos of Herb and Lemon Chicken in a Clay Pot
1 hr 25 mins
This recipe utilizes a clay cooker, such as a Romertopf. (for alternative cooking method without a clay pot, see diner524's review) The chicken stays juicy but still gets a crispy skin on top. Remember the clay pot and lid need to be soaked in cold water for 15 minutes before using. Try to find an Herbes de Provence that includes lavender flowers. This is good with steamed rice, or roasted vegies. The juices from the clay pot are good over the rice or vegies.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 1/2 teaspoons herbes de provence
- 4 lbs chicken, whole
- 1 large lemon, cut in half
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 medium yellow onion, peeled and cut into 8 wedges
- 1 stalk celery, cut into 8 pieces
- 1 large carrot, cut into 8 pieces
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and left whole
- 1/2 cup chicken broth (or white wine)
- 1Mash Herbes de Provence into the softened butter until well blended.
- 2Rinse chicken inside and out and pat dry with paper towels.
- 3Soak clay pot and lid in cold water for 15 minutes.
- 4Meanwhile, place 1/2 lemon in cavity of chicken and truss chicken with kitchen twine. Fold wings under. Rub butter mixture over chicken. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- 5Slice remaining 1/2 lemon into 3 or 4 slices.
- 6After soaking, line bottom of pot evenly with onion, celery, carrot, garlic and lemon slices. Place chicken, breast side up, on top of vegies.
- 7Pour broth over chicken and cover pot with soaked lid.
- 8Place in a COLD oven and set heat at 450°F.
- 9Cook for 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until the legs move easily and skin is browned.
- 10(Lid can be removed the last 10 minutes, for crisper skin.).
- 11Transfer to a platter and let rest 10 minutes before carving. Serve with the pan juices and vegies, if desired.
Browse Our Top Whole Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Whole Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Herb and Lemon Chicken in a Clay Pot
Serving Size: 1 (379 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 706.9
- Calories from Fat 446
- Total Fat 49.6 g
- Saturated Fat 15.5 g
- Cholesterol 236.9 mg
- Sodium 289.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 4.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 1.8 g
- Protein 57.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
herbes de provence