1/1 Photo of Herb and Dried Tomato Risotto (Gift Mix)
Chef #583577's Note:
This is a simple and delicious Gift-In-A-Jar recipe that I gave out for Christmas this year. It looks beautiful and I got rave reviews on the taste as well! The original recipe came from the 12th Edition Better Homes and Gardens cookbook - I have modified it a little to suit my tastes! This will make 4 half-pint gifts (I layered mine in wide-mouth half pint canning jars and used the plastic storage caps instead of the regular canning lids and rings). I used my homemade dried tomatoes (incredibly easy to do with a dehydrator - just thinly slice roma tomatoes and dry them on the vegetable setting until dry!) but you could use store-bought - just make sure not to get the ones that are packed in oil! The prep time given is the amount of time needed to create the gifts and the cooking time given is the amount of time needed to prepare 1 jar of the risotto. A great gift idea would be to give this mix along with a wedge of high-end parmesan cheese and a bottle of wine! Each jar will serve 6 when made.
My Private Note
1/2 pin ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1Combine bouillon granules and spices together in a small bowl. Divide equally among 4 half-pint canning jars to create the first layer.
- 2Snip the tomatoes into small pieces with kitchen scissors and divide them evenly among your jars to create the next layer.
- 3Top off each jar with the rice - filling to the top (you may need a little more or less rice than the recipe calls for - I don't measure the rice out I just fill each jar to the top!).
- 4Attach the following preparation directions to each jar.
- 5Additional ingredients provided by the recipient:.
- 63 cups of water.
- 71/4 cup freshly grated parmesan or romano cheese.
- 8In a large, heavy saucepan bring the water to a boil and add the contents of the jar.
- 9Stir well and return to a boil; reduce heat cover and simmer for 20 minutes (do not lift the cover).
- 10Remove from the heat and let stand, covered for 5 minutes.
- 11Rice should be tender but slightly firm. Stir in the cheese and enjoy!
- 12Makes 6 (1/2-cup) servings.
Browse Our Top Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Herb and Dried Tomato Risotto (Gift Mix)
Serving Size: 1 (127 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 446.1
- Calories from Fat 11
- Total Fat 1.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.3 mg
- Sodium 779.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 97.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.4 g
- Sugars 3.0 g
- Protein 9.1 g