Recipe by William (Uncle Bill) Anatooskin
I toyed with some selected ingredients from the RSC #11 contest, added my own and came up with this delightful pasta recipe. My family fell in love with it and told me that it just could be a winner.
Top Review by mersaydees
This is delicious and definitely ranks as high-end comfort food. It has a lot of what I refer to as "moving parts" and is not a dish I'd make regularly. Still, it was a great excuse to have something completely indulgent and I'm glad I tried it!
- 3⁄4 cup grated asiago cheese
- 1 cup grated gouda cheese
- 1⁄2 cup Philadelphia Cream Cheese, cubed small
- 1⁄2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 cup penne pasta
- 2 cups tri-colored fusilli
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried cayenne pepper, finely chopped
- 3 cups whole milk, homogenized
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried dill weed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a bowl, toss together Asiago, Gouda, Parmesan and Philadelphia cheese; set aside.
- In a large cooking or pasta pot, fill 3/4 full with water and bring to boil.
- Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil and 1 tablespoon of salt and penne and fusilli pasta.
- Cook for 20 minutes or until pasta is el dente.
- In the meantime, in a medium-size saucepan on medium-high heat melt butter; add garlic and cook for 1 minute stirring often.
- Remove saucepan from heat and stir in flour, mustard powder, nutmeg, cayenne pepper and mix well to blend.
- Whisk in 1/2 cup of milk and whisk to blend.
- Return saucepan to heat and stir in the remaining milk and bring to boil; reduce heat and simmer for 1 minute.
- Set aside 3/4 cup of mixed cheese to be used for topping.
- Add remaining cheese by handfuls to the saucepan and stir to dissolve.
- Add oregano, dill weed, salt and pepper and stir well.
- Drain pasta well and place in a 13 x 9 inch oven-proof casserole dish.
- Pour sauce mixture over pasta.
- Sprinkle the reserved 3/4 cup of cheese mixture evenly over the top.
- Place the casserole dish under the broiler on HIGH for about 3 - 4 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Serve while hot.